Now that summer is here, enjoy these great tips for getting your home ready to sell:
* Edge, mow and fertilize the lawn. Reseed any sparse areas.
* Trim hedges, weed lawns and flowerbeds, and prune trees. Cut back overgrown shrubbery.
* Reseal cracks in foundation, steps, walkways, walls and patios. Power-wash your home’s exterior. Consider repainting in a neutral shade if there is peeling paint.
* Clean and align gutters and downspouts and inspect and clean the chimney.
* If the doorbell doesn’t work, repair or replace it. Repair and replace loose or damaged roof shingles.
* Remove oil stains from driveway and garage. If you’re selling in the winter, keep walks neatly cleared of snow and ice. Otherwise, keep the walks and driveway swept.
* Repair broken outdoor steps. Place brightly colored potted outdoor flower arrangements near the front door.
* Keep your garage door closed. Store RVs, boats and extra vehicles elsewhere while the house is on the market.
* Wash the windows inside and out.
* Clean walls, floors, inside closets and cabinets – everything. If you must, hire a cleaning service to come in and do the job.
* Get rid of clutter. Store appliances you normally leave on countertops. Clean out closets, garage, basement and attic.
* Paint the walls and ceilings off white or beige.
* Repair cracks, holes and damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint, and tiles.
* Replace damaged windowpanes, moldings and woodwork.
* Repair dripping faucets and showerheads.
* Buy new cabinet knobs and curtains for the kitchen.
* Shampoo all carpets, scrub and wax linoleum, wash and wax wood floors.
* Unclog slowly draining sinks and tubs.
* Clean out the fireplace and lay some logs in it.
* Mend torn screens. Clean out all window tracks.
* Replace burned-out light bulbs. Use brighter light bulbs.
* Make sure every light switch works.
* Nail down any creaking boards or stair treads and lubricate any squeaking doors.
* Remove excess, worn or unattractive furniture.
* Clean all appliances (especially refrigerator and oven).
* Replace old toilet seats and shower curtains.
* Clear all cobwebs from corners and doorways.
* Wash all light switches, handrails and doorknobs.
* Keep draperies and shades open to let in the light.
* Place fresh flowers throughout the house.
* Set out colorful, luxurious towels in the bathroom.
* Avoid having dirty dishes in the sink or on counters.
* Keep any toys in the children’s rooms, bikes, wagons and skateboards in the garage.
* Play pleasant music at low volume.